Monday, August 22, 2011

SEWARD ALASKA

Seward was our next stop on the Kenai penninsula.  We had a great time visiting the Sea Life Center and going on a 5 hour cruise.  The Sea Life Center was started with funds from the Exxon Valdez clean-up fund and was developed because there was no facility to care for the sea creatures affected by the oil spill.  It was a very interesting and educational tour.  The cruise was great and we saw sea otters who literally spend their life in the water.  Their fur is so thick and traps air to insulate them from the cold waters that they were hunted to the brink of extinction when Alaska was owned by the Russians.  The sea otters float on their backs while eating clams and crabs and their babies will sit on the mother's belly.  We had a park ranger on board the cruise and she said their teeth were like a chainsaw but they are so cute!!!  We also saw puffins and other sea birds.
While in Seward, I got to go halibut fishing.  I was unable to go in Homer so Ken and I went on a boat out of the U.S. Army resort in Seward.  It was a first for me and I was told by the captain that tradition was that I had to kiss my first halibut.   So, being the gullible person that I am, I kissed the fish.    

Pictures from Sealife Center Seward Alaska













PORT OF SEWARD NOTE CRUISE SHIP IN BACKGROUND
SEALIFE CRUISE




HI EVERYONE



MOST SUPPLIES COME TO ALASKA BY BARGE FROM THE LOWER 48. NOTE BOAT ON TOP OF CONTAINERS

BETTY'S FIRST HALIBUT

No comments:

Post a Comment